About Junior Courses

What do children eat at the school?

Meals are provided in the dining room in each residence, except on excursions when a packed-lunch is given to all students. Wholesome and varied food is served and special dietary requirements can be catered for. Please advise us at the time of enrolment if a student has any special dietary requirements.

Meal Times in the UK

There are three main meals a day:
Breakfast- between 7:00 and 09:00
Lunch -between 12:00 and 13:30
Dinner (sometimes called Supper) – The main meal- between 6:30 and 20:30

Can the school offer a special menu for children?

Vegetarian options are offered daily. Gluten-free and lactose-free food is available upon request.

Is there a laundry at the school?

One laundry load per week is included in the price. Bed linen is changed once a week. Students must bring their own towels.

Who supervises the children?

Supervision of students is an important issue. The following levels of supervision are provided.

At the School. Staff escort the students from the houses to the main school in the morning and are on duty there until classes finish and students leave the school.

At the Houses. Staff are always on duty in the evening and in the houses at night. In addition there is 24 hour security. During the evening and night time students are strictly prohibited from leaving the school grounds unsupervised.

In Town. Students of 16 years and older may go out into the town unsupervised during the afternoon, as long as they have logged out before going and they log in on their return. Parents who wish their child to have this additional freedom must complete and return the attached Supervision of Students Form (Part X). Students under 16 and those without the Supervision of Students Form (Part X) may go out, as long as they are supervised by a staff member or group leader.

Excursions. Staff to student ratios are strictly enforced and students are double checked on and off buses. During excursions, free time is often given for the students to explore a designated, enclosed area, e.g. a shopping area. Students can do this in small groups unsupervised but they are told the time and place to meet and also where staff will be during their free time. This also applies for supervised shopping trips in the centre of the city.

Classes. Any absence from class is immediately reported to the Centre Manager or Director of Studies and investigated.

What should the children bring to the school?

Students should bring the clothes as well as a pullover, waterproof jacket, swimwear, trainers (sports shoes) for outside usage, white-soled sports shoes for use in the sports hall, and a towel.

Students should also bring 2 x passport-sized photographs, an alarm clock and hairdryer (+ adaptor) if needed. Students should remember to bring an adaptor for their mobile phone charger.

We advise that students do not bring valuable items such as expensive watches, jewellery, valuable electronic items, expensive cameras etc. However, valuables and items such as passports and airline tickets can be handed over to the staff for safekeeping. The school cannot accept responsibility for the loss of items or money unless given to the staff for safekeeping.

LAN Internet connection usually is available in each bedroom. If a student brings a laptop they should also bring a standard LAN connection cable.

Do the schools provide security?

A 24-hour emergency telephone number will be given in writing to students. All students will be issued with an identity card, which explains what action is to be followed in the event of an emergency or other difficulty. Students will be told to carry this card at all times.

Emergency contact number (mobile phone)

+44 (0)7733 206 401

All students must provide an emergency contact number to the staff of school on their first day. This should normally be the number of a parent/ guardian.

Which rules the students should follow?

Here are some rules the students should follow:

  • Alcohol and Drugs. The consumption of alcohol and drugs is strictly forbidden. UK law prohibits young adults under the age of 18 from buying or consuming alcohol.
  • Pubs, Discos, and Amusements. Young adults under the age of 16 are not allowed to enter pubs in the UK. Students 16 years of age are permitted in a pub until 21.30, but are only able to buy and consume soft drinks. Visiting pubs is only advisable if you are accompanied by a staff member, group leader, or home stay host.
  • Smoking. It is illegal for young adults under the age of 18 to buy and smoke cigarettes at all destinations.
  • Theft. Shoplifters and thieves are prosecuted in the UK, irrespective of the value of the stolen article.
  • Weapons and Dangerous Articles. All weapons (including flick-knives) are forbidden. CS gas is also illegal.
  • Going Out. Students are allowed to go out in the evenings in groups with a minimum of 3 students pending the Centre Manager´s permission. They must adhere to the aforementioned and following laws and regulations and be back in the residence or with their private host by: Ages 13 & 14: 22h00, 15 & older: 24h00. If the children are going to be late, they should call their host or centre office in order to ensure that the whereabouts are known, and a search party is not deemed necessary. The above times do not apply when students are involved in an organised evening activity. This rule does not apply to students under the age of 13, since they have to be supervised at all times.
  • Leaving the Campus / College grounds/ Arranging private excursions. Students under the age of 17 are not allowed to leave the destination town or village unless they are accompanied by a staff member.
  • Compulsory Activities. All lessons along with the daily morning assembly must be attended.
  • Damage. Incidences of damage to property and buildings caused by misuse or vandalism will be dealt with severely. Students will have to pay for ALL damages.
  • Private Doors which are marked with signs that state “private”are not to be opened. Some private areas will be unlocked for fire safety reasons, but entrance is still forbidden.
  • Noise. Students are asked to respect those around them, and keep noise to a minimum when returning to residences or private homes late in the evening. Social areas in the residences may be used after the evening activity finishes, but students should be in their rooms by 23.00. Students are not to congregate outside residences late in the evening.

Can the child use their mobile phone at the school?

The use of mobile telephones during lesson time is strictly prohibited. Failure to comply with this may result in staff members confiscating your mobile phone. The staff does not accept any responsibility for the loss of or damage to mobile phones.

For which activities is the Parent's Permission necessary?

We guarantee that the qualified staff will supervise all elements of the programme. However, some of the additional activities such as diving, sailing, surfing, riding a bike, and horse riding require us to contract local suppliers and require your permission for your child to take part in these activities. The same applies for activities undertaken by your son/daughter on their own outside of the programme.

The child’s first day

On the first day, the child should arrive at college at school by 08:30 in the morning. The student will complete an English test so that the school can place the child in the appropriate class.

The children will meet the other students who will be soon new friends, as well as the teachers and the rest of the staff who are there to support the child.

What should students know?

Important information for students:

  • In England the cars will drive on the LEFT side of the street, i. e. the cars will appear from the right side. The children should use zebra-crossings and pedestrian-crossings if they are crossing the road walking.
  • The children should always be polite: SORRY and THANK YOU are common in everyday life here.
  • The children should leave the passport or identity card in the room – do not take them during a day trip.
  • It’s better not to look straight into the eyes of young English people, except speaking to them. They might see this as provocation.
  • Also in England there are youth gangs. The children should always avoid joining such a group of teenagers and not proceed to typical places which might be the territory of English teenagers (playgrounds, football fields, public places, in front of shops, etc.).

About Adult Courses

Who could help me, if I have an issue or complaint?

  • If you have an issue or complaint, please tell us immediately! We want to know because we want you to be satisfied with your stay in the school. We are always happy to help you.
  • If you have a question about your course, or the money you have paid for your course, speak to one of the staff members.
  • If you have a question about your class, speak first to your teacher.
  • If you have a welfare problem or a question about your accommodation, speak to any of the staff members from the Accommodation department.

How fast can I make progress?

You will stay in your class until you are ready to move to the next level. The average length of time to stay at one level is 8 weeks, but everyone progresses at different rates and you may be ready to move up after 6 weeks, or perhaps not until after 10 weeks. If you feel your class is too easy or too difficult, please talk to your teacher or to the Director of Studies. Remember that we are here to teach you and to help you learn, but you must also help yourself to learn, use every chance to speak to people in English.

Here are some tips that you will find useful:

  • Do your homework
  • Read as much as you can
  • Watch English language TV
  • Talk to other students in English
  • Talk to your host family and offer to help them at home. You will learn new vocabulary and your host family will appreciate your help.
  • When you go shopping ask where things are, if they have your size, colour you like etc.
  • Revise the words you learnt in class when you go home. Try and use these words as often as you possibly can.

Can I mix the education and working?

If you are from a country in the European Union, you are allowed to work here in the UK. If you are from a non-EU country, but you have booked a course for longer than six months and have a category of student visa, you may be allowed to work here in the UK. However, you must not: work for more than 10 hours a week while you are studying, be self-employed or work as a professional sport person or entertainer, take a permanent full-time job.

What should I do if I am ill?

If you are from a country in the European Union, or a non-EU country with a reciprocal health agreement with the UK, you do not have to pay for any medical treatment. If you are not covered by these agreements it is very important that you get health insurance. If you have an accident or feel ill while you are at college, please tell your class teacher or go to Reception immediately. If you are ill, you can go to your host family’s doctor or one near the school. Ask your host family for help in doing this.

How to ensure complete safety?

In an emergency call 999 Police/Fire/Emergency. If you are in immediate danger, a crime is currently happening or you see a fire or accident. You can use any telephone and you do not need any money. Only use this number in a real emergency.

  • Please have always your host family’s address and telephone number with you.
  • Go to the nearest public place and explain your problem and ask them to contact the Police, your leader or your host family.

How can I change my money?

You can change money or travellers’ cheques at banks, many travel agents, and main post offices. You can use international debit/credit cards such as Visa and MasterCard in most shops & restaurants.

If you are going to stay in the UK for six months or more, you can open a bank account here. You will need a letter from your school to prove that you are a student.

What should I know about living with a host family?

Your Host Family will:

  • Do their best to make you feel at home and treat you as a member of the family
  • Encourage you to speak English as much as possible
  • Make sure you have enough to eat
  • Show concern for your health, safety and welfare during your stay
  • Respect your cultural background
  • Be sensitive to your needs

As a new member of the family you will take part in the normal routine of family life in the UK. You will probably meet other members of the family, as well as friends and neighbours. These will be great opportunities to practice your English. Family circumstances vary a lot in the UK today.

You can expect a clean, comfortable room, with a bed, desk, drawer and wardrobe space. There will be adequate heating and lighting. You can have at least one bath or shower per day. Your host family will do one load of washing free for you once a week. If you have more than one load, your host family will ask you to pay from £3 to £5 or you can take it to the local launderette. Don’t try to wash your own clothes in the bathroom. Host families are not expected to iron your clothes for you.

Your host family will give you breakfast and an evening meal during the week. At the weekend they will give you breakfast, light lunch and an evening meal. Students have 3 meals a day. If you are going on an excursion, let the family know before you go, so that they can make a packed lunch for you. If you do not need a meal, please tell your host family in advance. If you will be late for a meal, don’t forget to phone your host family to tell them.

Your family will give you house-keys. They may ask you for a small deposit so that you will remember to give the keys back when you leave.

Every household has its rules about what members should or should not do. Therefore it is important to be sensitive to the rules of the house.

What should I know about visas and other travel documents?

It is the responsibility of the agent to contact their local embassy (or other appropriate office) in good time in order to obtain any visas/entry documents required for visiting the UK. In cases where a visa is refused, please send us a copy of the visa refusal letter from the Embassy or Consulate. Our normal cancellation charges apply if notification of a failed visa application is received less than 21 days before the course begins. If the visa refusal letter is received more than 21 days before the course begins, a full refund will be given.

Please be aware of your country’s requirements on the laws regarding unaccompanied children travelling abroad. A consent document or letter may have to be produced upon departure to prove that the child has the permission of the parents or guardian to travel.

To ensure that individual junior students travelling alone, and small groups of juniors travelling without a group leader, are not held up at UK Immigration, we will issue a letter of confirmation to be shown upon arrival.

What should I do if I have special medical requirements?

Students taking any medicines should give their medicines to our staff as soon as they arrive on the campus. Clear written instructions (in English) on how the medicines should be administered must be obtained from the student’s parent(s)/guardian(s) and given to our staff as well. Students should also inform us of any allergies they may suffer from.

If students feel ill during their course they should tell a member of staff immediately. We will then be able to provide any assistance that may be required.

In the UK, for students from most European Union countries and others with reciprocal arrangements, general medical treatment is usually free. Prescription charges apply to prescribed medicine. Students from other countries will usually have to pay to see a doctor.

How much Pocket Money do I need?

We recommend that students bring a small amount of pocket money with them to pay for drinks, snacks and any souvenirs they may wish to buy. As a general rule, GBP80 per week is sufficient. For students travelling on their own, their pocket money should be given to our staff for safekeeping. The staff will then distribute pocket money as required twice a week. For groups, the group leader may wish to collect students’ pocket money and distribute it accordingly.

Students will be able to exchange currency into Pounds Sterling if necessary. Groups of students will be taken into town where they will be able to exchange their currency at a local bank or travel agency. We do, however, recommend that students’ pocket money is given to them in small denominational Sterling notes.

If you have a question, or would like more information about SBE, or cannot find what you are looking for on our website, you can contact our Enquiries team. We will be pleased to help you.